It’s taken me two weeks to really get readjusted. Yet another thing I’ve never done before, this adjustment back–like grieving where you’ve been, its uniqueness and how impossible it is to both explain and replicate.
I returned from my month-long writing retreat in Ireland to a whole new ballgame. Really, it’s like I was playing golf and now I’m playing cricket.
I left my nonprofit work with a hard stop, spent four quiet weeks hibernating in the hills with the cows and kitties and fairies. And then I returned and within a week had a new gig as a social media/marketing wrangler, a new professional identity as a freelance writer, said the words “I’m working on my novel” out loud, put finishing touches on MFA applications, re-budgeted, reassessed, reconsidered…recovered from a kick ass headcold…
Here’s what I miss about my Ireland adventure:
- Druid Cottage
- Brown bread
- 2 hour-long walks in the country
- Peat fires, specifically mine.
- Simplicity—from food to routine, everything was barebones, accoutrement free
- Walking into Peppers and feeling like I belong
- Wind howling around the eves of my cottage making me feel strangely secure and cozy inside.
- Not ever knowing what day it was or what time it was.
Here’s what I am so glad to come home to:
- My menagerie
- My new (fully functioning!) oven and it’s various culinary adventures (which may or may n to include baking brown bread).
- OAK! The best burgers in Seattle. The best cozy winter bar. Happiness abounds.
- Public transit (yes, really—it’s nice to not have to drive everywhere)
- The right side of the road.
- My new gig with these fun, creative, shit-kicking folks, Team Diva Real Estate. Taking buying, selling and renting to a whole new level. I love their commitment to relationships, neighborhoods, to knowing the quirkiest spots, to snark and pink.
- IPA’s, especially this one. Guinness is oh, so good, but I’m a Northwesterner at heart.
- Esquin and the Saturday wine tasting—what you’ve never been to Esquin? Best wine shop in Seattle. Nicest staff. Best back room with phenomenal deals.
- A new adventure as a freelance writer (stay tuned)